It’s time to start looking for your 2020/21 student home.
Before you rush in, below are some top tips:
• Be sure who you want to live with (who’s tidy and who’s not)
• Decide/ confirm how many people you want to live with (no point looking at 4 beds when there might be 5 of you)
• Decide where you want to live/ transport links/ supermarkets/ gym (how long do you want to walk into Uni in the morning?)
• Work out what your budget is (don’t forget bills and food)
• Find out where your other friends are considering living (more fun if they live close by)
• Talk to people that are already renting privately (they have experience with landlords, good and bad)
• Go online and research some properties (read the info don’t just look at the pictures)
• Before booking viewings, research the Letting Agents/ Landlord (Check Google Reviews. FB reviews etc), big isn’t always better.
• Research costs (fees vary from one agency to another- admin fees, deposits etc)
• Book in some viewings (remember don’t forget and turn up on time as it has a knock on effect if you don’t)
• Don’t just take the first one you see (check out a few as they are often very different)
• When viewing ask the tenants questions (ask the current tenants questions, they live there so they know best)
• Before deciding make sure everyone is in agreement, location, price, start date (and remember someone will have to have the small bedroom, be prepared if that’s you)
• Read through the list above again and make sure you’ve followed our tips (they may make the difference between a good or bad 12 months)
• Pick your property and go put your deposits down and start the paperwork (don’t be shy, ask questions if there is anything you are unsure of when doing it).